WE BELIEVE FORUMS CAN INCREASE POSTS BY RENAMING THE INTRODUCTION BOARD TO “HELLOS AND GOODBYES” BECAUSE:
- It’s not as aggressive as “introductions” and may help people feel more comfortable saying hello.
- Newbies wont feel like they’re in the spotlight and be more likely to post.
- People will post about going away for the weekend, holidays, surgeries, family and other events.
- Returning members will be more likely to reintroduce themselves because it’s not just for intros.
- Because it’s a casual come and go sort of forum it will attract more activity and feel a LOT more fun and a whole lot less annoying than an introduction board.
- Tantrum goodbye posts. Admins are asked to keep watch to ensure that this is taken care of as you feel is appropriate for your own forum (locking, deleting, etc) and to count how many you have as that is important information for this experiment.
HOW TO JOIN IN WITH THE EXPERIMENT [BEFORE SEPTEMBER 30 2015]
- RENAME your introductions board to “Hellos and Goodbyes”.
- Make an announcement on your forum about renaming it. Include a few lines about members being allowed to post they’re going away, and welcome to say hi again when they return from being away. Please include examples such as holidays, exams, surgery, events, etc or use those in the board description.
- Link me to the announcement topic to tell me you’re participating (and if you do NOT want a credit link). Emails welcome if you don’t want to comment your URL.
GATHERING THE DATA
Next Level SMF will travel to each forum and gather data about how many topics they had the month before the change, and how many topics they had the month following the change. The number of members will also be taken into account as will the type (hello/goodbye/hello again) and popularity (views/replies) of the topics before and after the change. All data gathered will be anonymous (an ID of some sort may be used but not the forums name/url). Each participating forum will be given a thank you link in the blog post discussing the data (please advise in the comment/email if you do not wish for a link to be included).
At the end of the month the admin will receive a short 5 question survey asking them to rate out of 5 how much the change affected posting, if it affected posting in the forum as a whole, if they had any tantrum posts, and if they will continue to keep their board renamed. There will be a comments box optional as well. Each admin will be presented with their forums data, and a link to the completed blog post.
6 months later each forum will be revisited and data will be re-gathered to see if the change has long term effects on posting. Admins will again receive a copy of their forums own data and a link to the blog post. Admins may be re-given the 5 question survey at this time.